- India is the only country in the world where age bar for alcohol consumption is 25 years.
- It is illegal to directly or indirectly advertise alcoholic beverages in India.
- Hinduism declares alcohol consumption as one of the five heinous crimes and is comparable to murder and adultery. A drunkard is a dead body, say the scriptures.
- Broadcasting Bill of the country prohibits screening of smoking and drinking scenes and are categorized as adult.
- A prerequisite to become a congressman is to abstain from alcohol.
Mahatma Gandhi had canvassed total prohibition, and the Constitution of India endorsed, adopted, and imposed total prohibition in 1977. It lasted only two years leaving behind a few dry states like Mizoram, Manipur and Gujarat, and a couple of ‘dry’ holidays like Gandhi Jayanti and Independence day.